Sunday 17 July 2011

Ohatsu and Tokubei - A Love Story








As a photographer I consider myself pretty able to capture a veritable feast of ideas depending on the occasion: whimsical and ethereal, dark and brooding. Weddings. So when my amazingly creative friend Jess - aka Xelyna the Gothic Lolita (www.thegothiclolita.blogspot.com) requested my help on a high art project I set myself the challenge. Jess has spent some considerable time in Japan and so has an enviable knowledge of local customs, subcultures, history and folktales. One of these tales, the story of Ohatsu and Tokubei, goes a little something like this: Ohatsu is a concubine, Tokubei, a samurai. They want to marry, but due to a series of unfortunate dramas, find they have no choice but to run away in the dead of night, and commit suicide in the forest. So I've cut the premise way down, but in Japan, this story it to them like Waltzing Matilda is to (some of) us. When Jess was asked to contribute to an art exhibition, this is what we came up with...

1 comments:

Eklectic Mix said...

Wow, love it. They look like stills from one of those old b-grade movies. That's a compliment by the way. Very Frankenstein like. The harsh light in the pic where she is being killed really captures the horror. Great stuff.
Jen

Post a Comment

 
© Melanie Thomas Photography
CoffeeShop Designs